The second Sunday of Advent is traditionally devoted to the theme of peace. How do you experience God’s peace in your life? Where is God’s peace most needed in the world?
Choose one or more of these prayers for daily use over the course of the week.
Memorize this scripture:
The Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. (Romans 8:26)
By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us, to give light to those who sit in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. (Luke 1:78–79)
(breathe in) Prepare the way of the Lord, (breathe out) make your path straight.
The Prayer of Jesus
The Lord’s Prayer in Spanish (Maria-Elena Oliva)
Graces and Blessings
Make a blessings cube.
Before every meal roll a die to pick your blessing. Paste a different prayer or blessing on each side of a cube or large die (or number 6 blessings and read the blessing of the number rolled). Here are 6 blessings to start with, be creative and create your own family favorites. These are some of mine.
- We love our bread, we love our butter; but most of all we love each other. (Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans)
- For each new morning with its light; For rest and shelter of the night; For health and food; For love and friends; For everything Thy goodness sends. Amen. (Ralph Waldo Emmerson)
- (sung to the tune of “Frère Jacques”) We are thankful, we are thankful. We are glad, we are glad, for the many blessings, for the many blessings, that we have, that we have. Amen. (Unknown)
- God is great, God is good. Let us thank God for our food.
- For food that stays our hunger; for rest that brings us ease; for homes where memories linger; we give our thanks for these.
- Be present at our table, Lord. Be here and everywhere adored. Thy people bless, and grant that we may feast in paradise with thee. (John Wesley)
Find more family prayers and blessings on our At Home page.
Be brave. In God’s story, everyone is special!
Alydia Smith is Program Coordinator, Worship, Music, and Spirituality for The United Church of Canada.